It really is hard to believe that this day has finally come. My last email session home. Truth is... I'm probably not going to be too long-winded -- most of the things I want to tell you guys will be better in person.
But, here's a quick week summary:
It was nuts. I understand now why people pay to have someone else plan their wedding. We ran around getting legal documents, calling, teaching, organizing, decorating, cleaning, and praying all week trying to make sure that, no matter what, M and M could get baptized. I have about 1,000 stories to tell you guys about how it almost didn't happen, and how in the last second, things turned out... but I'd rather tell those stories in person! In the end, they did get married and baptized. It was a beautiful ceremony that went flawlessly. Ignoring all the stress of the week leading up to the special day, it was one of the most perfectly executed baptisms of my mission: the best way I can imagine to wrap up my final full week here in my favorite South American country.
So this is it. I really don't have much else to say. I just had my final interview with President Evans and it was wonderful. I feel a little more prepared to return home.
In my mission I've served in five areas, I've had nine companions, I've been able to teach many people and watch a good number of them make the important decision to be baptized. And the journey has been wonderful. I wouldn't trade the experiences, the joys, the sorrows, the stresses, and the miracles of the mission for anything. It's been a wonderful blessing for me to be a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've grown and learned a lot. Now I'm ready and excited for the next chapter!
Love you tons.
In my mission I've served in five areas, I've had nine companions, I've been able to teach many people and watch a good number of them make the important decision to be baptized. And the journey has been wonderful. I wouldn't trade the experiences, the joys, the sorrows, the stresses, and the miracles of the mission for anything. It's been a wonderful blessing for me to be a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've grown and learned a lot. Now I'm ready and excited for the next chapter!
Love you tons.
Hasta la vista.
Elder Fairbanks
Random Shots of Paraguay:
Divisions with Elders Schmidt & Barreto:
| "Saying goodbye to Amaro Flores and his sons. (He's the son of the member that helped convert Abundancia and Mistolar and is a member we've visited frequently here.)" |
Preparing the Baptismal Font with Elder Villacreses:
More Random Shots of Paraguay:
The Wedding:
| "Decorations for the wedding... Thank goodness for the wonderful members that helped us out!" |
Baptism Day:
Saying goodbye to Hermana Aura Machuka, her daughter Diana, and Diana's boyfriend Cristian Acuña:
|
"Saying goodbye to Liborio Flores. I love this man a lot. I'm
going to miss him. He's Amaro's brother and is such a great man."
|
| Elders Villacreses & Fairbanks |
I'm going to go ahead and call you Dallin :)
ReplyDeleteI stumbled on your blog about a year and a half ago when my son Benton got his call to Paraguay. I read some of your posts trying to get a pulse on what the place was like so I could prep Benton. And I found a kid who was a wonderful missionary. (And who also reminds me a lot of Benton)
I have very much enjoyed reading your letters. ( I know, kinda of stalkerish)
You did a great job there, and were a wonderful example to my son. Thank you so much for your service.
Enjoy this next phase of life. Only more good things are yet to come.
Russ Marcum